Isolation, Preservation and Control of Yeast Strains
date: 21-23 June 2017
Imparted by members of the NCYC team, this course will be of interest to anyone involved in the handling, distribution and storage of Yeasts
The course will cover aspects of isolation, cultivation, identification & preservation of yeast cultures. The course will be held at the National Collection of Yeast Cultures (NCYC) and both the theoretical and practical sessions will be imparted by the NCYC team.
The training course runs for two and a half days and it will cover different theoretical and practical demonstrations. Participants will have the opportunity to discuss aspects of their work with NCYC staff and will update their skills and knowledge of:
- Isolation methods. Aseptic technique
- Microscopy basics
- Preservation methods. (Long and short-term preservation)
- Recovering freeze-dried cultures.
- Culturing yeast preserved by other methods.
- Quality control checks: viability, purity checks (conventional and PCR based).
- Identifying potential spoilage yeasts.